Concerning personal information used for the purposes of news reports and literary work
In these activities as a news media organization, our company acquires, uses and retains a large amount of personal information.
The Exclusion from Application in Article 76 of the “Act on the Protection of Personal Information” specifies that the provisions in Chapter 4, which stipulate the duties of entities handling personal information, shall not apply when personal information is handled for the “purpose of news reports”, for the “purpose of literary work” or for the “purpose of academic studies”.
Respecting the role of news organizations and writers who value freedom of speech and freedom of expression and contribute to the people’s right to know, this provision is essential for the continuation and development of a democratic society.
Our company aims to contribute to the establishment of a free but disciplined economic press at all times. In order to contribute greatly to the people’s right to know, our company will continue to perform as a news media organization that people can trust.
However, the personal information that our company acquires, uses and retains is important in relation to fundamental human rights, namely privacy. Knowing that the handling of such information requires the utmost care, our company has established its own original internal management, administration and utilization system.
Adhering to the full implementation of the laws related to the protection of personal information, our company will continue to appropriately and voluntarily handle the information regardless of the exclusion provision concerning news reports. Our company will make every effort to review and improve our handling of the personal information we acquire, use and retain for the purposes of news reports, literary work and academic studies.
Our company promises to appropriately manage the personal information in order to fully contribute to public interest at all times.
Kenichi Komahashi, President of Toyo Keizai Inc.
News, publications, statistics and databases delivered by Toyo Keizai Inc. as a news organization
Purpose of the use of personal information
- (1) For providing applied and contracted products and services and for other related customer service.
- (2) For providing information about our company’s products, services and seminars.
- (3) For surveys and questionnaires to help improve and develop our company’s products and services.
- (4) For providing products, services and other information from corporations and organizations that our company believes are beneficial to everyone.
- (5) For the creation and provision of other products and services of our company, including corporate information database that contains personal information.
- (6) For business communications from our company.
Rules when offering personal information to a third party
Other personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without the user’s consent with the exception of the following instance.
- (1) When it is necessary to protect life, health or property; and it is impossible to obtain consent from the user.
- (2) When all or a portion of the handling of personal data is outsourced within a range necessary for providing the products and services.
- (3) When it is based on the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other laws and regulations.
The name of the authorized personal information protection organization affiliated with our company and the contact point for the resolution of complaints.
Revised on October 5, 2011
Revised on August 15, 2017